1. A nap (a short period of sleep) can boost alertness, memory and creativity of a person. It doesn’t amount to laziness. So, a quick nap during the day will not disrupt your night sleep.
2. A nap should not be more than 30 minutes. Once you sleep for more than 30 minutes, you get into deep sleep and thus, end up waking up groggy.
3. Ever heard of napalatte? All you need to do is relish your cup of coffee or tea and then take a quick nap. When you wake up, you will feel refreshed.
4. Watching TV can never help you fall asleep. Television only stimulates and interferes with you sleep. The next time you want to go to bed, switch off that box.
5. A lot of people assume that alcohol will put you to sleep. While alcohol may help you sleep faster, the quality of sleep suffers as it will be disrupted, lighter and restless.
6. Pulling an all-nighter will harm you. It will leave you sleep-deprived and thus, integrating or putting together facts becomes difficult. So, the next time you want to hang out with your friends for longer, give it a thought.
7. It is a myth that insomnia happens only to those who are depressed or anxious. Insomnia can happen to anyone. Several factors contribute to insomnia, right from your behaviour to medication. So the next time you think you have a sleeping issue, visit the doctor.
8. If you are constantly feeling sleepy and are drowsy most of the time, then consulting a doctor will be better. It might be a condition that requires treatment. Don’t assume that you are lazy or are just having a withdrawal symptom.