Himmat App launched
Named ‘Himmat’ it is an initiative by Delhi Police for women safety. The application was launched basically for the employed women who traveling alone sometimes late at night.
The Delhi Police has launched a mobile application ‘Himmat’, meant for women’s safety.
The application will allow women to send a distress call to the Police Control Room and their relatives in case of an emergency. The application was launched by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Thursday. Mr. Singh also distributed pepper spray to women and awarded girls who had successfully completed the Delhi Police self-defense programme.
The app can be downloaded free of cost from the Delhi Police website www.delhipolice.nic.in or from Google Play stores on Android phones. Currently, the app is available only for Android phones but the Delhi Police is working on extending the facility to other operating systems as well. Explaining the app, Delhi Police Commissioner B S Bassi said: “In case of an emergency, the user can send an alert by shaking her phone or by pressing the power button/soft button. As soon as the distress button is pressed, it will trigger a 30-second audio and video recording on the phone which will be relayed to the Police Control Room and the victim will get a call back from the PCR”. An SMS alert will also be sent to the minimum of five friends and relatives of the user and a status will be posted on her Facebook and Twitter timeline which will be connected to the app.
What is Himmat?
The mobile-based application is basically for the safety of women traveling alone. Women can use its features to alert Delhi police in case of any threat.
How to use it?
The Himmat app can be downloaded free of cost from the Delhi Police website – www.delhipolice.nic.in with effect from 04.00pm on 1st January 2015. This App is only for mobile phones working on Android since a survey has revealed that most working women use the Android-based phone. In due course, this facility will be extended to other operating systems as well.
Unique features of Himmat app:
* Shake To Alert
* Power Button Alert
* Soft Button Alert
* Call back by Police Control Room
* Video Recording
* SMS Alerts for Family and Friends
* Victims details, location Time Alert on phone and portal
* Alert on Facebook
Himmat application and service are to be used only when there is a threat to Life and Limb.
How to use it
* Users can download the app – Himmat from Delhi Police website or Google Play
* A new user has to register with the Delhi Police website by sharing their name, mobile number and that of a minimum of two relatives/friends.
* Once the User registers, the user will get an SMS on mobile number given at the time of registration with a download link and registration key. A user has to enter this key in the registration window in the application. This is a one-time process.
* Apart from the friends/relatives, an SMS alert relating to the distress is sent simultaneously to the police control room. The CPCR takes further action.
* The SMS alert is also transmitted simultaneously by the Police Control Room to the Police Patrol cars in the area and the local Station House Officer (SHO) through the Delhi Police Cyber Highway.
* During the emergency, using advanced technology, the mobile app captures audio and video from the environment of the person in distress and transmits the same to the Police Control Room.
* The mobile application has a help section which has details about how to use each section of the app. Users are requested to follow the instructions there. In case of any difficulty, please write into us as – support email address.
* Safety Tips Section for women to help in times of crisis.
* First aid tips to help women.
False SOS alerts
Generating false SOS alerts/ alarms, intentionally/ unintentionally, will lead to cancellation of the registration after 3 such (False SOS alerts) incidents. The user must report in an email/ to support number if in case they want to re-register and activate the facility.