1. The perfect performance ratio is 90:20
To get the most out of your day, work in 90 minute bursts followed by a 20 minute break. By doing this you will:
- Increase your awareness
- Improve focus
- Boost your energy levels
2. Stop multitasking (it’s killing your productivity by 40%)
According to science, there’s no such thing as multitasking.
Our brains don’t actually work that way, and can’t juggle two tasks at once. Instead, the brain actually switches from task to task – something that makes you inefficient and ineffectual.
3. Take a power nap after lunch!
This sounds ridiculous, but after lunch our body’s serotonin and dopamine levels take a serious dive – causing you to feel sluggish and tired. That’s why science recommends taking a power nap!
To get the perfect productivity-boosting nap, you should:
- Nap between 1pm-4pm
- Find somewhere quiet and dark to snooze
- Nap for no more than 20 mins, or over 90 mins to avoid feeling groggy
4. Exercise more (and do it at work!)
Studies show that workers who exercise on a regular basis are more productive than their sedentary collegues.
A Swedish study found that exercise at work mean that employees:
- Had a greater capacity for work
- Got more done
- Were sick less often
5. Crank your favourite tunes
A study found that surgeons who listened to their favourite music during surgery worked more accurately. Their response times were quicker, and they were better at problem solving.
So crank up the volume and listen to your favourite beats at work!
Top tips for listening to music at work:
- Pick music you like
- Go instrumental (lyrics can be distracting)
- If you’re learning a new skill, hit the pause button
6. Google baby animals
Finally science gives us an excuse to keep YouTubing hilariously cute animals.